Monday, December 13, 2010

Reflecting on My New Year's Resolutions

As the year winds down while simultaneously revs up again, it's time to think about those Pesky New Year's Resolutions.  They Are Capitalized Because They're Important.  Or Ironic. Jury is out, still.

At any rate, let's take a look at last year's resolutions involving athletics, music and reading.

First, I will give up on running goals.  Last winter's snow and this year's hip that threatened to rebel prevented me from becoming too ambitious on the road.  Plus, I can dream of a five-minute mile all I want while understanding that it is all in my head.  (True confession: I wasn't a five-minute miler in my best days.)  (I'll give you a moment to gasp in surprise.)

What I can do is promise myself a more well-rounded exercise regiment.  David will be thrilled that I want to strengthen my core and do a little weight-lifting.  I shan't look like the Olympian on David's stamp artwork, but a little weight to keep my arms from looking too hideous isn't out of the realm of reality.  Add to that some good crunches (not crazy ones, a not-so-subtle hint to my trainer) with a little Bollywood dancing and I'll be golden.

Second, let's be honest about music: it's not my life's love.  (That would be reading.)  I like good music, but I don't always seek it out, and I don't think I'm deprived because of it.  I have a couple of good sources for music information (thank you, Rob, David and "Glee") and I'll surf the pop stations when I'm inclined.  I'm always up for suggestions, so don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Finally, I am reading at a good clip these days, so I don't need to hope to "read more."  I've begun including my book reviews on this blog, so you know I haven't run out of reading material (despite a huge chunk of my book collection being held captive in storage).  Plus, it's not a competition, but a desire to absorb good writing that compels me.  Remember to share your reading suggestions with me.

I may not abandon all of last year's goals, but there may be a few new ones in there; I'll let you know.

How did you do with your resolutions this year?  Are you eyeing next year's yet?

No comments: