Monday, April 30, 2018

Squirrel • National Poetry Month


Thank you for spending National Poetry Month here with us at Hedgehog Lover. Keep reading poetry, keep sharing poetry, and keep loving poetry!


Squirrel


It's not a dignified end, dangling
from my fingers, held fast with
a candy wrapper salvaged from
my car floor. I found no napkin, so
I improvised, judging the safety
of the road while drudging about
for a makeshift shroud.
                                     She is small,
light, and I whisper a prayer. No,
more of an apology: had it been me,
I would have stopped, she would have
made it across. When one stops,
others follow, whether out of shame
or habit or kindness I never can tell.


I lay her gently at the curb, tuck
the wrapper under her, too small for a shroud.
A prayer, unbidden, escapes my lips:
for her, for me, for the careless driver
who brought us here, together, on the side
of the now-quiet road. It’s too late for
the peace I beg for in my fervent whisper.
It’s too late for us both.

By Chris Fow Cohen
Shared with the author's permission

No comments: