Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Peace of Wild Things • National Poetry Month


Thanks to my friend Louise for suggesting today's poem. If you'd like to suggest a poem not yet published on this website, and win a book of poetry during National Poetry Month, submit your poem to me!

The Peace of Wild Things
click here to listen to the author read the poem

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

by Wendell Berry
courtesy On Being


No comments: