Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Poetry Wednesday: Translator’s Confession, 3 a.m.



Translator’s Confession, 3 a.m.



Dear C, I dropped



your sentence in hot water.

I talked to the boil. I said Here



is my thumb for you to burn.



Here is the soft heart

of my hand and my arm and



the nape of my wreck.



I said vapor, just take me.

I’m done burning



with these pages. Being invisible

doesn’t mean a person



won’t blister, doesn’t mean



the blisters won’t fill

with pockets of water



or when lanced the rawest flesh



won’t emerge. First the word

then the murky leak



begins—what another mind

may scrape against



but never skin.





By Idra Novey

Courtesy poets.org





About this Poem: 

“I wrote this poem as a way to settle some unfinished business I had with Clarice Lispector, a Brazilian writer whose work I’d been reading intensely for nearly a decade and whose novel I’d recently translated. As is the nature of unfinished business, once I wrote one letter to her, I needed to write another, and on it went for some time.”

No comments: