Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ramping Up for Poem in Your Pocket Day

A pocket poem can be short, small, compact — or can be as long as you want it to be.  (I've seen some big pockets in my time.)  It can be a poem you carry in your head, others you slip into your checkbook (because when you're writing a check, one needs the salve of a poem).  


I hang a couple on my walls at work.  


I also recite this one to David whenever I'm feeling clever:


'Twas in a restaurant they met,
Romeo and Juliet.
He had no cash to pay the debt
so Romeo'd what Juliet.


Here are a couple from my friend Beth Field.



I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. 
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've brought a big bat and I'm ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me.
- Dr. Seuss





Shake and shake
The catsup bottle.
None will come,
And then a lot'll.

Richard Armour




What's your favorite pocket poem? E-mail me and receive a book of poetry for your effort!

Check back on April 29, Poem in Your Pocket Day, for a few more pocket poems!

No comments: