Friday, August 29, 2008

Banned Books Week is on the Horizon!

This year, the American Library Association's Banned Books Week will be celebrated September 27 through October 4.

How are you going to mark that week?

I think I will try to read one or more frequently challenged books. I have read quite a few of them (but there's always more from which to choose, I'm afraid). In fact, last year I read And Tango Makes Three.

Really, protesters should know about people like me: I don't turn away from controversy, but wade into the middle of it. I research that which is being protested. If you tell me that something shouldn't be read, what do you think I do? I read it!

So, start shopping at your local library or bookstore. Find that "obscene" or "explicit" book and see for yourself if it's all that and a bag of chips.

Don't let others decide what you can read. Never let others make decisions for you. You're smarter than that. So go exercise that brain and your freedom. See what it's all about.

And whether you agree or not, decide what your course of action will be. This is, after all, the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Be both.

No comments: