Thursday, April 22, 2010

Poem in Your Pocket Day on the Horizon!

April 29 is Poem in Your Pocket Day.  


In celebration, poetry lovers, here's a deal: if you send me a poem by April 27, 2010 for Poem in Your Pocket Day, I will send you a book of poetry.


To inspire you, here is a poem from New York City for Poem in Your Pocket Day:





DRUMMER


Tonight is quiet.


Tomorrow
there'll be fighting.


My first battle.


I'll be brave

in the morning

as I set the pace:

rat-a-tat

rat-a-tat

rat-a-tat-tat-tat


Men will march

many to their deaths

as I spur them on:

rat-a-tat

rat-a-tat

rat-a-tat-tat-tat


But

tonight

I wish my ma was

here.


"Sleep tight -

sweet dreams,"

would be

right fine

words

to hear.



By Cynthia Cotten
from AMERICA AT WAR POEMS 
courtesy Academy of American Poets and New York City

No comments: