Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Poem in Your Pocket from Poets.org

April is National Poetry Month, and I'm sure you're perusing your tomes for those special poems to share with me and the other poetry lovers in your life.

Well, don't forget the great resources on the Web — including Poets.org, which has just launched Poem in Your Pocket. Not only can you carry a single poem (like the one you have stored in your wallet right now) (wait, that's me!), but also can sign up for Poem-a-Day to receive a poem daily by e-mail.

For those with BlackBerrys or iPhones, that literally is a poem in your pocket.

Thank you to Rob for sharing this news flash with me. His poem would be The Who song "In My Head." (Yes, lyrics count; think "Frankie and Johnny.")

To whet your appetite, enjoy this poem -- it makes me happy -- and a bonus haiku below.


Words from the Front

We don’t look as young
as we used to
except in the dim light
especially in
the soft warmth of candlelight
when we say
in all sincerity
You’re so cute
and
You’re my cutie.
Imagine
two old people
behaving like this.
It’s enough
to make you happy.

by Ron Padgett
From How to Be Perfect © 2007


and a bonus haiku....

World
the morning paper
harbinger of good and ill
- - I step over it

by Mike McCroskey
from HAIKU for PEOPLE

No comments: